Sunday, December 08, 2013

Holidailies -- Day 8



Today's prompt: What holiday tradition do you wish would just go away?

The company Christmas party. The company I work for goes all out -- closing the office for a half day, picking up the bill for a catered meal at a posh eatery, giving out a handful of expensive door prizes, serving up enough free booze to launch a dozen illicit coatroom affairs …

Meanwhile, we have only had two raises in the last 9 years. During that same time, we have had to sublet two floors of this office building and endured a succession of layoffs.


I'm not going. And I wish they'd banish the whole thing.

I'm not against celebrating the holidays in the workplace. I have decorated my office, I have cards and little ornaments for each of my coworkers, and am handling the collection for a special gift for our team admin.

Imagine all the money we would save if we just gave each employee one of those little half-turkeys that serves 4! Or the tax write-off if we gave all that money spent on the party to charity! They could let the employees suggest which worthy cause to support.


2 comments:

  1. Good post! I hate the awkward forced festivities of our holiday assembly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:18 AM

    I've never worked at a company that had parties like this, it doesn't sound very nice though, especially with all the financial changes going on. I think though if they stopped the party, a lot of the employees would feel slighted so it might seem more beneficial to continue with the tradition.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.