Sunday, June 23, 2013

Fourteen! That's more than a dozen!

That's how many runs the Cubs scored today within the Friendly Confines of Wrigley Field. And I was there!

My friend Kathleen, her newly-graduated daughter and I sat in upper infield seats, out of the sun and in sight of the ivy and the iconic scoreboard.

The ball was flying off Cub bats and out of the park and it became such a route that I lost track of who was pitching for us after the 7th. So Kathleen, her daughter and I were just blabbing off and on for the last two innings.

We talked a lot about my work situation and Kathleen reassured me that if anything goes wrong and I lose my job, she'll do whatever she can to provide me with safety net of freelance work.

Her daughter was neat to talk to, since she is in that nether world between child and adult. She's off to school out east this fall to begin studying veterinary medicine. She's confident about wanting to get away and eager to learn about conserving endangered species in their natural habitats. Which isn't to say that when she's done, she won't be looking at spaying and neutering dogs and cats, but right now, that's her dream.

And I can't tell you how good it is for me to go to Wrigley Field. I have no bad memories attached to that place. None. Everything is good -- with family and friends and players that I have loved like friends and family. It is, for me, the happiest place on earth. I am a Cub fan, and I belong at Wrigley Field


1 comment:

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.