Tuesday, August 07, 2012

1992 Redux

Let me state this plainly up front, I love The Big Dog, Bill Clinton. Yes, I know what he is, but I love him anyway. I'm proud that I worked on his campaigns (twice), voted for him (twice) and believe our world is a better place for him being in it.

That said, I'm amazed by how easily people forget recent history. On Morning Joe I'm watching a learned panel that includes Jon Meacham (!), a historian and veteran newsman who certainly should know better, discuss parallels between the 1992 and 2012 Presidential elections.

They postulate that Obama, like HW Bush, doesn't believe he can lose. That he, like HW Bush, knows the economy is in recovery -- even if the public doesn't realize it yet. And that he, like HW Bush, could very well lose in the fall to an underestimated candidate.

Bill Clinton, God bless him, didn't win that election. Ross Perot stole it for him. It was Clinton 43%, Bush 37% and Perot 19%. Anyone who voted for Perot would have preferred to be covered in honey and dropped in an ant hill than vote for that Liberal pot-smoking draft-dodger.

And unless Mayor Bloomberg becomes so disgusted by all the gun violence he enters the race as a third party candidate, I predict President Obama wins in November. The incumbent simply always has his thumb on the scale.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.