Tuesday, December 20, 2011

North Korea confuses me

I believe the sorrow I see following Jong-il's passing is sincere. I just don't get it.

Were these people so oppressed that they don't even know it? Maybe they don't realize that they don't have things the rest of the world takes for granted, like food and electricity.

While Jong-il concentrated so on military and nuclear development, his people suffered because of the rest of the world's sanctions. Food and materials never made it to the North Korean people, so new construction of houses, roads, power grids ... ANYTHING ... has slowed mightily, down to virtually nothing in some areas.

Is it possible I know more about North Korea's role in the world than North Koreans do?

Thank God for our free press.

2 comments:

  1. I do think the North Koreans don't realize they go without. This is going to be a very interesting time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a combination of state-controlled media, Stockholm syndrome, fear of retribution if they don't mourn, and fear that the next guy could be even worse.

    Kwiz is right. This is going to be a very interesting time.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.