Friday, April 01, 2011

Retail in Williamsburg

I love shopping in Merchants Square. I was only able to spend three hours there, but I know there are tourists who happily spend a full day traversing the little shops just up the street from Bruton Parish and all the other historic sites.

This year, my favorite shop was Shirley Pewter, opened in 1962 by a silversmith and Korean War vet named Shirley Robertson (a gentleman who, unlike Leslie Nielsen, must not have minded being called "Shirley"). It's not a big shop but it is a beautiful one. I found I appreciate pewter more than its hoity-toity cousins, silver and platinum. It all looked more substantial and had more character -- the same reasons why I'm more drawn to stoneware than china.

As a result of my time at Shirley Pewter, my friend Kathleen (the proud breast cancer survivor) will receive a pink ribbon charm, my best friend will get a nice, heavy horseshoe (to accompany his turtle, acorn and clover talismans) and I now have a lovely peace symbol pull for my wallet.

At the Colonial Garden and Nursery, I bought garden seeds for sturdy indigenous plants (Joseph's Coat and strawflower) for my mother's backyard. And at Everything Williamsburg I got everything else -- a sweatshirt for my oldest friend, a t-shirt for myself, a cap and a book (George Washington as action hero) for my nephew, sweet potato muffin and gingerbread mixes for my niece, and their choice of magnets or little canons for the folks at work. (I know it's crap, but I firmly believe that bringing tchotchkes back to everyone, and having everyone display them on their desks, makes us look and feel a bit more like a team).

There were boutiques I wish I had time to visit, too. Maybe next year ...

3 comments:

  1. That is so sweet of you. It always helps anchor the nice energies you have on vacation to bring something back. :) I'm glad you shared your vacation with us. s

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reliving your vacay with you this year. It brings back a lot of memories for me--I went to high school in Newport News, and lived with my 1st ex in Yorktown for a few years. My Mom and I loved to visit Williamsburg together and she has many pictures of us together there.

    My husband and are going to Puerto Rico this year, but have Williamsburg on the slate for next year or the year after that. Thanks again for the great posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you find a ring? I think it's so thoughtful of you to bring back goodies for everyone.

    I have thoroughly enjoyed my vicarious trip. Thank you for letting me geek out through the links and photos.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.