Friday, May 28, 2010

Behold my wake-up call

Thanks to The Chicago Tribune for this terrific photo from one of last night's opening numbers at the Diana Ross concert. While I don't especially agree with the review (her voice was deeper than I expected, but not necessarily weaker), this pic serves my purpose here perfectly.

For this is a 66 year old woman. Who has had 5 children. While not the waif-thin girl she once was, it was still sobering to realize that one of my thighs weighs more than she does.

To make the message even clearer, my friend John's 80-year-old aunt came with us. Wearing a suit, stockings and 2" heels and looking better -- head to toe -- than I do. Really. At first I hoped I could look that good when I'm 80. Then I was honest with myself and realized I wished I could look that good tomorrow. I know Aunt Marie is blessed with exceptional genes, but still. She's 80! I have no excuse.

I mentioned yesterday that Miss Ross was one of my role models growing up. Today she is one again. While I still can't work out (vein treatment) until Sunday, I can resume eating better TODAY. And I must shake the self loathing I have let permeate my personal life! It is, after all, my life. I can change it.

I know the meds I have been taking, as well as the physical maladies I have had this year, have taken their toll. But God gave ME this body and this spirit and it's up to me to rehabilitate them. He expects nothing less.

And besides, it's what Diana would do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.