Saturday, April 18, 2009

A Revelation


I'm watching HBO's Grey Gardens and am amazed by Drew Barrymore's performance as Little Edie. She's disappeared into this part.

Jessica Lange plays Big Edie. She's an actress I appreciate but don't like. (There's something too technical/theatrical about her.) Drew Barrymore is a star I've never even thought of as an actress. More the fluffy, goofy red carpet clothes horse. But here in Grey Gardens, she's eccentric and touching.

As a Kennedyphile, I've always been aware the Beales' story (they're Jackie's crazy, impoverished cousins). I wonder how explanatory this screenplay is to the uninitiated. But that aside, I'm really enjoying this.

1 comment:

  1. I'll have to make a point to see this when it is available to the masses.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.