Thursday, December 25, 2008

Love's Pure Light

So goes the last hymn of the candlelight service: "Silent night, holy night, Son of God, love's pure light." After completing the hymn, I extinguished my candle and went out into the clear, cold night, walking just a couple blocks before I found myself back here at home, surrounded by my fur-bearing roommates. It washed over me that I am so blessed. In no small part because I believe that I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me, but also because He has given me so much love in my life. These cats love me, yes, in a pure, trusting, nonjudgmental way reminiscent of "Silent Night." But even better He has given me the capacity to love them. It's a dependable source of joy, wonder and pride for me that I was able to save these three little furry lives (they were all shelter cats) and give them a good, healthy, safe home.

I have a lot of faults. Just scroll through this blog and you can find them. Yet with critters I am at my endlessly patient, empathic best.

"Love's pure light." As Christmas 2008 dawns, that's the gift I'm very grateful for.

I will post about Christmas Eve with my family tomorrow. It wasn't perfect, but it was fun. For now, though, I am going to sleep in Heavenly peace, undoubtedly with a cat at the foot of the bed.

1 comment:

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.