Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Hitting the wall


We've all done it. On a day when you have put out fire after fire, alternately fought and cajoled coworkers, and wondered what the hell you keep doing it for. Slam! You hit the wall.

You ask yourself: Is it worth it? Isn't there something better I could do with my life? Something that would make me happier? Isn't there an environment where my efforts would be more noticed and better appreciated?

My best friend hit the wall this week. He's been in the same job now for a year and a half (and the same industry for more than 15 years) and is currently wondering, "what the hell…?" He's having one of those weeks when everything and everyone seems to be conspiring to simply exhaust him.

Like most of us, he's good at this job and usually he likes it. But he's simply hit wall. I keep trying to remind him that after a nice, long MLK weekend, he probably won't feel this disheartened and depleted. I'm not sure he hears me, though. Just as little gets through to me immediately after I hit the wall.

2 comments:

  1. Hopefully something will come up to give him a little boost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hit my wall last year and man did it hurt! It's taken deciding to go in a totally new direction to bring the spring back into my step.

    Maybe it's time for him, too.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.