Wednesday, October 24, 2007

He's my person

Remember last year on Grey's Anatomy? Christina didn't want Burke to tell anyone about their engagement until she had a chance to speak to Meredith first, one on one. Burke thought it was because Christina needed Meredith's approval. No, Christina insisted, it's just that Meredith is her "person." As I recall, Christina said something like, "Telling her makes it real. She's my person."

My best friend showed up unexpectedly last night. He's only in Chicago for the day for a meeting. But even though he was tired (clearly very tired) from a busy family vacation last week and a bumpy flight in from Denver, he sat up with me drinking and talking and yawning until nearly 1:00 AM. He's also going to try to get in some time next month.

This is important because he's my person. Telling him everything that's important to me -- the hurtful and confusing issue with my niece, the professional opportunity I'm considering, even my lingering ambivalence about Hillary Clinton -- makes them real and less daunting. I know he gets something out of reporting the major and minute of his life to me, too. You should have seen his face as he described how tiny the white part of his youngest daughter's French manicure was and how much she enjoyed her "day of beauty" before her first stint as flower girl.

So now the only question is, which of us is Meredith and which is Christina? Yeah, I know, it's obvious. He's more sensitive, whinier and marginally better adjusted. I'm outwardly tougher and far less socially adept. Clearly he's Meredith and I'm Christina.

2 comments:

  1. The thing is, which one is better? The whiney, self-absorbed, wishy-washy, commitment-phobic Meredith? Or the acerbic, self-absorbed, strident, commitment-phobic Christina?

    Still, I'd take being one of them over being Izzie. Oy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question you ask there! I guess that's best answered by other people. The nice thing about having found your person is that he or she accepts you as you are -- in spite of the less than lovely aspects of your personality.

    Wonder if Izzie will ever find her person, or if she'll forever be defined by her looks -- which, let's face it, are her strength. (I still can't believe she won that Emmy.)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.