Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Ah! Al!

I'm watching the American Film Institute tribute to Al Pacino. Lordie, I love him. He's both a terrific actor and a charismatic movie star. It's a powerful combo platter, and I'm grateful to him for all those hours of pleasure in the dark. (Yeah, I know how dirty that sounds but I'm leaving it as is. Consider it a tribute to the crush I had on Al as Serpico. You could dive into those deep brown eyes!)

The Godfather saga, Frankie & Johnnie, Donnie Brasco, Dog Day Afternoon, The Devil's Advocate, And Justice for All ... All good movies made even more memorable by Al's magnetic presence.

The only one I don't get, frankly, is Scarface. Tony Montana a pathetic loser who is too stupid to see that there's only one way his story could end. Al's performance is so far over the top I couldn't possibly care about this thug and I found myself getting bored. And yet I know men who can recite lines to this movie as if it was Caddy Shack or Top Gun. I see kids wearing Tony Montana t-shirts and snapping up posters. People, this man was an unredeemable idiot!

I think Scarface might be like The Three Stooges ("a guy thing").

1 comment:

  1. The only part of the AFI Salute to Pacino that I caught was the Jamie Foxx segment...hilarious! Although I have never met a woman who likes Scarface, I have met some who are down with The Three Stooges. I'll have to write a future post about that.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.