Saturday, May 19, 2007

In praise of alone time


Tomorrow I don't want to talk to anyone. I want my alone time. It's my time to recharge, refresh, and get ready for the new week.

I love my alone time. I am greedy and possessive of it.

The coworker who has been having all the marital problems is getting a divorce (but since she and her husband are still living together, I'll believe it when I see it) and wants to spend time with me. During work. After work. On the weekends.

I don't want to spend time with her. But I'm stymied when she asks what I'm doing instead. It sounds so anti-social to say, "I'm not doing anything. I just want my alone time."

I want to read. I want to watch TV (especially Crosstown Classic: Game 3). I want to nap on the sofa (which always feels a little decadent to me). Maybe I want to sort my books and clothes. I want to be on my own.

I love my alone time. I need my alone time. It clears my head and keeps me strong.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9:02 AM

    I value alone time too. For me it's when dh leaves for work and the kids go to school. Until 2pm I'm in heaven doing what I want, which is write.

    I don't know how much your co-worker will press but can you leave it with a vague, "Oh, I've made plans this weekend. Maybe another time?"

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.