Tuesday, December 19, 2006

"Bears Holding Tank"

From the Chicago Sun-Times, that's today's best headline.

I'm not a Bears fan. My obsession for the Cubs is so consuming there really is no room in my heart for any other team. But I appreciate how exciting this season is for Bear fans and I know how frustrating it is to see one of anchors of their famous defense, Tank Johnson, out of uniform when he is strong and able to play.

HOWEVER …

His behavior is absolutely ridiculous. On Thursday of last week, Johnson's home was raided and he was charged with six misdemeanor counts of illegal possession of weapons. Then, a mere 12 hours later, he was in a nightclub with his "best friend and bodyguard," who was shot and killed.

I believe this is what they call "a bad day."

The Bears must do something. Super Bowl run or no, you can't let a guy like this suit up. The team is talking to the league about their options are.

When I was a kid, Joe Willie Namath was run out of football (briefly) for owning a bar. Now the NFL has Rae Carruthers, OJ Simpson and Tank. How far we've come, and what a sad journey it's been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.