Sunday, March 06, 2022

The Sunday Salon

 

This is my first time participating. It's the first Sunday in March, so I'm going to start by looking back at the books I read in February.

Chasing History: A Kid in the Newsroom by Carl Bernstein. A highly-entertaining memoir and candid look at the last part of the 20th century. 4 stars out of 5

Careful What You Wish For by Hallie Ephron.  A mystery by a writer with a sure hand. I think of books like this as candy bars. I enjoyed it while devouring it, but I doubt I'll still be thinking of it often or ever six months from now. 3 stars

She Made Me Laugh by Richard M. Cohen.  Cohen's affectionate memoir of his decades-long friendship with Nora Ephron (Hallie's older sister). I'm such a fan of Nora's that I loved it before I even picked it up. 4 stars

My Darling Husband by Kimberly Belle.  A thriller that's actually thrilling. One of those plots you try to unravel in your imagination when you're forced to put it down and go do other things. BTW, My library's Hoopla's algorithm recommended this, based on what I've read before, and they aced it! 4 stars

Diana by Sara Bradford. A sympathetic but still clear-eyed look at the life of the Princess of Wales. 4 stars

I'm anticipating a grueling workweek ahead. I hope I'm wrong, or if I'm right, I hope I still can carve out a moment to find refuge in books and in cuddling my cats. (I also have a bottle of Bailey's Irish Creme in the refrigerator, just in case!)

Check out other Sunday Salon participants here.


8 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Sunday Salon! I'm happy you have joined us. I hope you will visit some of the other bloggers that join the linky and that you will return again soon.

    A thriller-that-is-actually-thrilling sounds perfect. I think that's why I wasn't keen on Paris Apartment. No thrills.

    Let's hope your week turns out to be not quite as grueling as you were thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome!! Thanks for the suggestion of Chasing History I have put it on my library wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got My Darling Husband from the BPL. Can't wait to start it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have My Darling Husband in my To Read list. I am very excited for summer so I can read more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not read any of these. I hope your week is better than you think it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great reviews! I'd love to read the Diana book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome!!! I added Chasing History to my TBR.

    I hope your work week isn't as grueling as you are anticipating and I hope you get in lots of reading and kitty cuddles.

    Oh and please pass me the Baileys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you have a better week than anticipated. If you are still watching Ms. Maisel and can tolerate that (which is seeming more and more like a train wreck), then you will be quite satisfied with State of Terror. I can't put it down. It's written as well as other Louise Penny books.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.