Saturday, December 17, 2016

I did nothing today

I feel guilty about my nothingness, since I rescheduled this morning's hair appointment because of a storm that didn't quite materialize as predicted. I know this puts undue stress on my stylist, who is squeezing me instead on Wednesday at 5:00 -- which is his own time. But truly, TV's "storm trackers" warned us over and over about freezing rain and black ice and I thought, "Fuck this. I'm on vacation next week! I don't have to [get my hair cut, go to the post office, pick up prescription kibble at the vet] on Saturday morning!"

And so I didn't. I slept in. I binged on Will and Grace reruns. I had a massive brunch -- cinnamon apple crepes with a side of bacon. I watched the village kids line up to ride in one of two horse-drawn sleighs traveling up and down Main Street.

As I was leaving the coffee shop, I got to see The Big Guy up close and personal as he slipped in to get warm with a quick cup of java at the counter. I learned that when he's in the red suit, Santa is always on duty. A girl -- shy, perhaps because she's on the verge of no longer believing -- stared at him long and hard before approaching him with her tentative request: "Earrings. Pierced. Dangling." I felt sorry for her, because both the shop owner and a patron were taping her exchange with their phones. Apparently they thought it was so adorable -- and it was, young girl unexpectedly meeting Santa while having brunch with Mom --that it needed to be immortalized. I don't think they thought about how uncomfortable it was for the "star" of their video. It was really her memory and they were infringing on it.

Then I did a little utilitarian shopping -- oversized, padded envelope, drain cleaner, and other such boring shit -- made my way back home in the rain/snow and took a nap. And now I'm bingeing on the new SJP show, Divorce.

See? Nothing!


2 comments:

  1. That's a whole lot of something, there, Gal. I'm glad to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in my pajamas on this Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. I do have to go out later, though.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.