Wednesday, April 04, 2012

www.Wednesday

To play along, just answer the following three (3) questions…

• What are you currently reading? I just picked up  The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz. It's Book #1 in a detective series about Izzy Spellman, who is described as "part Nancy Drew, part Dirty Harry." This series gets a "thumbs up" from Kwizgiver.
 
• What did you recently finish reading? Mortal Stakes, my favorite in Robert Parker's venerable Spenser series. I picked it up again because it's about a mystery surrounding a phenomenal young Red Sox pitcher, and my Cubs begin their season tomorrow and I wanted to read about baseball. The title comes from Robert Frost, "Only where love and need are one, and the work is play for mortal stakes, is the deed ever really done." That's just one of its serious elements. There's mystery and blackmail and bribes and sleuthing, for sure. But also integrity and values. How what you care about helps determine who you are. It shows Spenser falling slowly in love with Susan, his life partner and (for me, at least) one of the most annoying women in pop culture. So it was good to revisit Spenser and Susan at the beginning of their relationship, to remind me what he loved about her. (PS This book was originally published in 1987. The Internet has changed our lives soooo much in the last 25 years, and as I reread it I kept thinking, "This wouldn't have happened this way if they'd had Google.")

• What do you think you’ll read next? I don't know for sure, but maybe Found by Tatum O'Neal. She's been through so much, and so publicly. I'm curious about how she's doing -- as an actress, as a daughter and as a mother.


2 comments:

  1. I should read more biographies. When you talk about them you remind me that I don't read enough non-fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be reading The Spellman Files next too! We'll compare notes.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.