Sunday, March 20, 2011

Movie Monday -- All About Food

Share on your blog movies that are about growing, cooking, serving, eating or any other function of food, linking back here at the Bumbles.

I concentrated on food served during movie date nights ...

Lady and Tramp. Has there ever been a more romantic spaghetti dinner?

Psycho. Perhaps the least roma
ntic movie meal ever -- Marion's last meal is a sandwich with Norman in the Bates Motel. When you know what's coming, it's a very creepy scene. Here's a woman whose last name is Crane eating a chicken sandwich while sitting beneath taxidermist Norman's stuffed birds. Think wily old Hitchcock is doing a little foreshadowing here?

Jerry Maguire. Couch-jumping antics aside, Tom Cruise can be a compelling screen presence. I love the scene in Jerry Maguire, early on, when he's trying to have a real conversation with the very-willing-to-be-wooed Dorothy, despite the mariachis.

The Jerk. I love Steve Martin handling the waiter at the French restaurant. First he wants "fresh wine," from this year, none of t
his old, vintage stuff. Then he freaks out because there are snails on his date's plate! But he's onto the condescending waiter: "He doesn't realize he's dealing with sophisticated people here."

6 comments:

  1. Love your selections! Very original.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually watched Lady and the Tramp a couple of months ago with a girl I was seeing.

    We came across the part where they did the spaghetti kiss, and I looked at her lovingly, and then grabbed her straw, put it in my mouth, motioned for her to do the same thing, and then got a playful slap in the face. lol.

    And, I got my kiss. So I was happy. :)

    Your posting got me thinking of that so I thought I would share.

    http://www.givejonadollar.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked all your picks--and I agree about Steve Martin. He's such a funny guy. I'm seeing a good variety of films today. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet and unique choices :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun choices! I had forgotten about The Jerk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you know The Jerk is one of my favorite comedies ever. So I applaud that selection. But I was most delighted by Lady & The Tramp - I wanted so badly to include it in my list but felt like I would be hogging them all. Thanks for sharing that great image too!

    And yes - Psycho is a very inspired unconventional choice. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.