Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #90 -- Got a question? Ask Uncle Sam!


13 BOOKLETS AVAILABLE
FROM THE
FEDERAL CITIZEN INFORMATION CENTER


This is my valentine to www.pueblo.gsa.gov, a website I have literally lost myself in. It’s informative, it’s yours, it’s free – and it’s one of the resources I turn to most often when I work. (Especially if I’m working on something the Federal Government has to approve. Once I show the Feds that I got my data from the Feds, copy gets rubber-stamped more quickly.)

What is the Federal Citizen Information Center? I’ve lifted this from their own FAQ page: “The Federal Citizen Information Center [FCIC] brings together an array of U.S. Government information and services and makes them accessible to the public.”
You say it sounds like nothing but dull talk about tax regulations? It’s not. Here are 13 random titles that illustrate the breadth of free and verified information on the site.

1. Nine Ways to Lower Your Auto Insurance Costs. Includes a chart to compare discounts when shopping for insurance.

2. Stop. Think. Click. 7 tips to protect your information, your computer, and even yourself when you go online.

3. Summertime Favorites. Summer reading of 300 timeless classic for students in Grades K-3, 4-6, 7-8, 9-12.

4. Occupational Outlook Handbook. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reviews occupations, salaries, etc.

5. How to Talk to Your Adolescent about Alcohol.

6. Restaurant and Take-Out Safety. Tips to follow so that the food you take home in your doggie bag is safe to eat the next day.

7. Dietary Supplements. Questions to ask before taking dietary supplements, including risks and where to find more information.

8. Energy Savers. Tips on saving energy – and money – at home.

9. Your Credit Scores. Why your credit score matters, what good and bad scores are, the elements of your FICO credit score, and how to raise your score.

10. The Civil War at a Glance. This full-color map illustrates and briefly describes major Civil War battle campaigns.

11. Buying Contact Lenses Online or by Mail. Make sure you get what you ask for.

12. Money Tips for All Ages. Practical help for teens, young adults, newlyweds, people at midlife, parents, retirees, etc.. Also for those dealing with a medical emergency, job loss or other major life events.

13. Buying a Used Car. Discusses your limited rights when buying from a dealer or private owner.

I encourage you to wander around the site yourself. After all, as a taxpayer, you have already paid for the information so you may as well use it.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



18 comments:

  1. Wow I never would have guessed you could find all that info there. Great list. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An interesting list. I'm sure there's a booklet about everything - but how many tell it how it really is, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:42 PM

    Thank you for bringing that to our attention. very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:15 PM

    Great list. I had no idea there was so much of this available! Thank you for sharing all of these ideas.

    Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, that's very, very cool Thanks for putting the info in my hands.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:51 PM

    The questions to ask about dietary supplements is great. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great, useful list...Happy TT my friend:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Useful list!!!

    Thanks. Especially for the takeout one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. absolutely fantastic! Thank you for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that's what I call a 'public service' T-13! Thanks for sharing. I celebrated my 1st Blogoversary at Small Reflections today ... and tomorrow I'm celebrating my 1st Blogoversary at Sacred Ruminations with a T-13. Hope you'll find time to drop by ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who knew? You're right though, we should use what is out there for free.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm. I didn't know any of these were available. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list of resources...thanks for posting it! Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to know they're spending some money on things that are useful...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous3:33 PM

    *I hope Blogger lets me post this time*

    This is a WOW post, I'm pretty sure our government has nothing like this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember when the Federal Citizen Information Center used to show PSAs on TV all the time when I was a kid. Thanks for the reminder. I bookmarked their website for future reference.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cool links and list. This site is bookmarked for future reference! Thanks and Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very useful info; thanks, Gal. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.