Monday, July 21, 2008

Rewards are good

I was wrestling with how to handle back-to-school. My niece and nephew are very dear to me and I want them to have everything they need. On the other hand, my sister and her husband are always in trouble financially, and (let's face it) they are only sporadically nice to me. Sometimes I wonder how often I should act as their ATM. Especially now, when the agency I work at is going through tumultuous times. I have been trying to be responsible with my own money … just in case a layoff is in my future.

I may not have money at my fingertips that I can easily share with my niece and nephew, but I do have rewards points, earned from the credit card I used to pay for my spa vacation last spring. Lots and lots of rewards points! Enough to get each kid a Target giftcard that they can use for school supplies and some back-to-school clothes.

Happy, happy! Joy, joy!

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! (And what a great aunt!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:31 AM

    Since you've already wrapped up this year's award, I nominate you (in advance) for next year's "Aunt of the Year Award"!

    What a gem you are - and I hope your nephew and niece appreciate all that you do for them. And I hope your sister appreciates it, too. Snowbird

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, shucks, Book Mama and Book Mama's Mama. Thanks for the praise, but twarn't nothing. It literally won't cost me anything, and it pays such big dividends in knowing I won't have to worry about the kids anymore. You can't put a price on that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great idea. Also, Staples is having a 5-cent sale right now, too.

    I got lists from my niece and nephew, too. I'm going to take them each out for lunch and shopping for supplies, though, it's our Back To School tradition.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.