Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Happy Birthday, Bobby Sherman

There was a brief time when this blue-eyed boy replaced Paul McCartney as my dream lover. My fantasy infidelity took place during 1969 and 1970, when Paul and the other Beatles were growing mustaches, getting married, getting busted, breaking up … in short, turning into complicated adult men. Scary!

Then there was Bobby Sherman.* A sweet-faced and completely non-threatening boy with great hair. He played the vulnerable, stuttering youngest brother on ABC's Here Come the Brides. He sang harmless pop confections like "Little Woman," "Easy Come, Easy Go," and (my fave) "Julie, Do 'Ya Love Me."

Today he turns 65. He deserves a happy birthday in exchange for all the hours of romantic, junior high bliss he gave me, whether on TV, from the turntable, or in the pages of Tiger Beat.

* David Cassidy deserves a mention here, too.

3 comments:

  1. Oh lordy! I heard "Easy Come, Easy Go" on the radio the other day and wanted to kick myself because I still knew the words! LOL

    I was only slightly in the BS camp but got on the David Cassidy train big time. Even now (at 47), I'm riding the David Cook (American Idol) bus for all it's worth! Once a fangirl, always a fan girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha This is so cute! I was a HUGE Bobby Sherman fan! Posters all over... Teen Beat magazine and YES even ALL those silly records!( Loved the tv show too )
    This post gave me a great visit back in time!
    (65?? WOW that's impossible!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to the book Chase's Calendar of Events, I discovered that this was Bobby Sherman's birthday. I almost wrote a post about him, but never got around to it.

    I can't remember whose copy it was, but somebody in my house had a copy of a teen mag back in the early 70s (I think it was Tiger Beat). I remember there was a photo in it of a mustachioed Bobby Sherman. Do you recall this and did the facial hair cause you to ditch him in favor of David Cassidy?

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.