Friday, April 24, 2020

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: All Right (1983)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.


1) This song has an optimistic message about love: "It gets tough sometimes, but you can give it one more try ..." Do you tend to take an optimistic look at life? I do, but I have to go through my process. My best friend called it "awfulizing." First I examine the situation, picturing the worst. Then I realize that the worst really isn't that bad, and I can go forward with positivity.

2) In this song, Christopher Cross sings, "Time and time again I see people so unsure like me ..." Tell us about a recent time when your confidence could have used a boost. Now. I'm less worried about the virus than I am the stock market. I'm going to need the money in my 401(k) soon -- within the next year or two, probably -- and oh, how my balances have taken a hit! I keep reminding myself to be grateful that at least I have a 401(k).

3) The Doobie Bros.' Michael McDonald plays on this record. Do you have a favorite Doobie Bros. song?



4) Though no longer making hits, Christopher Cross still has loyal fans who attend his concerts. Time permitting, he spends time after each show signing autographs. Have you ever asked a celebrity for his/her autograph? When I was in high school, I tried to get the signatures of both Cubs and Blackhawks players. It seemed terribly important at the time.

5) Christopher Cross' dad was an Army doctor stationed at Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington, DC. With all the museums and monuments, our nation's capital could be a great place for a kid to grow up ... except sometimes we take the advantages of our hometown for granted. Tell us about a nearby museum, park, theater, etc., you'll visit again when this period of crisis is over and it's agreed that it's safe to do so. I want to go to the movies. I want to sit in the dark, eat candy, and be transported to another world.

6) In 1983, when "All Right" was popular, Flashdance was a hit in movie theaters and on the radio. What's the most recent movie you watched? Most recent song you heard on the radio? I watched The Untouchables with Kevin Costner and Sean Connery. I heard "Draggin' the Line" by Tommy James. ("I feel fine. I'm talking about peace of mind ...")
 
7) Also in 1983, America West Airlines took off, flying between Las Vegas and Phoenix. They went nationwide in 2005 after they merged with US Airways. In 2013, they merged again, this time with American Airlines. Do you collect miles in an airline loyalty program? I'm a whore for American's AAdvantage miles.

8) Super Mario Bros. debuted in 1983. Can you name gaming's most famous siblings? Luigi and Mario. My nephew was soooooo into them for a while.

9) Random question -- Under hypnosis, you discover you lived three past lives. In the first, you were wealthy beyond your wildest imaginings, thanks to a loveless marriage. In the second, you were a star on the roller derby circuit who had earned the nickname "Smasher." In the third, you were a brilliant mathematician who worked your way through school as an exotic dancer. Which of these would you find most shocking? I kinda wish the last two could be true. I'd have great stories to tell! Plus, I'm very uncoordinated and would like to think that in past lives, I gracefully skated and danced and shimmied. So the first one would be the most shocking because it's so sad and disappointing. As someone once said, "If you marry for money, you end up paying for it."

8 comments:

  1. "Awfulizing." I like that. I'm going to add it to my vocabulary. We're pretty concerned with the 401K situation, too. Wondering what will be left in there when this is over. Not so scary for younger people who have time to let it ride and rebuild, but for those of us with a decade or less...or worse yet, those already depending on them for income...it is troublesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your song choice.

    I’m not even looking at my 401(k) these days. Took a bit hit in 2008...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when they say don't worry about the stock market because you are in for the long haul, but I am at the end of the road now! I have the RMD now that I am 71.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your process for #1. I love the term "awfulizing"!
    I am really hoping things get back on track soon with stock market and such things. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    http://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your thought process on number 1.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too like the term "awfulizing."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm trying not to panic about my retirement fund... it will bounce back. It will.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely misread the #8 question. Sigh. That's what I get for not paying attention. We also are having to dip into my husband's 457 fund now that he's retired, and it took a big hit so there is less there. I dare not hope it will bounce back. Although if enough people drink bleach, who knows what will happen.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.