Friday, August 20, 2010

August Happiness Challenge 2010 -- Day 20

They're Playing Our Song. In 1979, this was the big hit on Broadway, Marvin Hamlisch's followup to A Chorus Line. I loved it then but kinda forgot about it. Probably because it was never a movie and it's never enjoyed a big stage revival. Too bad, because it's quite charming. I was so happy to find this clip from that year's Tony Awards. Robert Klein is playing Vernon, a character clearly based on world-class geekatroid Marvin Hamlisch, and doing a wonderful job. And Lucie is a revelation. Sure, the 70s poodle perm makes her eyes look too close together and her dress looks like it was borrowed from Ann-Margret's nightclub act, but listen to her sing and watch her dance -- in heels! There's not a trace of Lucy Riccardo there. Maybe that disappoints people, but I think she was great.

Rediscovering Sonja and Vernon was like hooking up with old friends again. I got the CD from Amazon, and it makes me very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.