Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Nailah Franklin Update -- Suspect Now Has Representation

Last month, the man about to stand trial for the murder of Nailah Franklin had second thoughts about representing himself and has accepted the assistance of the Cook County public defender’s office. I apologize for being so late in posting this development.

For those of you who aren't familiar with this case, Nailah Franklin was just 28 -- with a promising career, a supportive network of friends and a family who loved her -- when, in September 2007, she was kidnapped and murdered. I didn't know this young woman personally, but her story touched me. For example, while she was missing, Nailah's sisters held out hope that she was still alive because "her spirited and strong personality would help her survive." Friends recalled that she loved shopping and "all things Oprah." She volunteered at the Chicago Urban League, and was eulogized as "not a star, but a superstar."

Those close to her didn't want her to become just another "missing black woman statistic," and neither do I. Nailah Franklin deserves to be more than that.

I choose not to use the murder suspect's name here because I personally believe he's guilty and don't think he deserves notoriety for what he did. If after his trial I am proven wrong, I will publicly apologize. But for now, I choose to spotlight this lady instead. And my thoughts are with the family and friends who have to spend yet another Christmas without her.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:44 PM

    I totally agree with you. This was an unfortunate and untimely death. I walked around for the last year in total shock about this whole affair. Made me even more anxious because I have a daughter, niece who all young successful women out there trying to make a place for themselves. So, I go overboard on the protection alert, telling them to be mindful who they let into their private space. Encourage to bring all of these people around the family just to let me put my "eyes" upon them.

    Yes, another holiday season without their Nailah. Just want them to know they are not alone in their pain. So many of us, cry, pray for justice to be carried out on that "person" who committed this vile act upon another human being.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.