Sunday, February 17, 2008

Look at That Face (Part 2)

Definitely, Maybe is the second movie I've seen with Abigail Breslin. (The first being Little Miss Sunshine.) Once again she's captured my heart. Sweet, tender, sincere and smart, there's nothing false or cloying about her. (Meaning: she doesn't get on my nerves like Dakota Fanning does.) The look on her face when her father, Will, explains how he defines "happy ending" is worth the price of admission.

The movie itself is better than I thought it would be. I especially appreciated the way campaign work is portrayed. Will's character (Ryan Reynolds) spent 1992 at Bill Clinton's New York headquarters. As a volunteer for Senator Kerry's presidential campaign, I, like Will, worked the phones and sold seats at a $2000/plate dinner and knew the thrill of selling a whole table. (The speaker at my fundraiser was Bill Clinton.) But that's as glamorous as it got. Like Will, I also did tons of boring work -- mostly cross checking donor information. It was tedious, but it was important, because Senator Kerry's financial information had to be complete and accurate.

In terms of the romance, all I can say is, "Aw ...." I love love stories, and this movie has three. (Four, if you count the relationship between adoring father and concerned daughter.)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:34 PM

    Abigail Breslin is going to be playing in the movie "My Sister's Keeper" from the book by Jodi Picoult. She's taking over the role from Dakota Fanning. Kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.