Sunday, February 17, 2008

"Is there something in your house that isn't working like should?"

That's how the CLR cleanser commercial begins, and it addresses slow running faucets and showerheads. But it got my attention, because I thought the spokeswoman was talking about me.

I haven't been working out. Partly because our erratic and fierce weather has made it not worth the trip to the health club. (Put on long underwear, scarf, coat, gloves and boots -- take off gloves, boots, coat, scarf, sweater, jeans, and long underwear -- put on workout togs -- take off workout togs -- put on long underwear, jeans, sweater, scarf, coat, boots and gloves … doesn't really leave time for a workout and shower, does it?) Partly because the mood at work just tells me it's worth my while to be as available as possible. The result is that I feel E-NOR-MOUS.

My home is a mess. Really. Not dirty, though the kitchen floor could use a little attention. It's the paper issue. The ongoing, forever paper issue. I feel like I've been trying to keep ahead of this my entire adult life! And I feel like I've been losing my whole adult life. (The photos on the link embellish the situation somewhat, but that's how I feel it looks in here.) Yesterday and today I've taken a box -- literally a box a day -- of paper out to the recycling bin out back and this place is still overrun by clutter. I know I have an issue with parting with things, and that plays a role in this for sure, but there's just soooo much in here!

Plus I'm just deeply, desperately lazy. I've done my grocery shopping, I've done my laundry, I've fiddled with this blog and I've gone to the movies. I haven't worked out. I haven't concentrated on housework.

I will, however, make a hollow promise to myself that I'll do it all on my day off tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Sing it, sister.

    We get into ruts, and sometimes it feels as if those ruts are taking over our lives. But in the end, we're stronger, and one day the hollow promise will be filled with something substantial.

    You'll de-clutter when you're ready. You'll clean when you're ready. Right now, movies and fellowship are more important. Maybe everything in your house is working as it should, even if conventional wisdom says otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the paper - I was just thinking about it today. BB brings about 25 sheets of schoolwork home in his "Friday Folder" in addition to any handouts/notices for his parents. Plus we get the Free Press daily (a pretty big paper with lots of ads and inserts), 3 weekly magazines, several monthly magazines. 2 or 3 weekly free newspapers (which I wish I could somehow cancel), etc. Fortunately it's all recyclable, but right now our pile of recyclable paper is about 3 feet high. Literally.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.