Wednesday, January 30, 2008

THURSDAY THIRTEEN #52 -- Sites to cybershop


MY THIRTEEN FAVORITE
ONLINE SHOPPING SITES

I love shopping from my laptop! Point, click, buy. Then, within days, one of the nice young men from the mailroom shows up in my doorway with a package. There is no easier way to treat myself to a little retail therapy.

Here are my 13 favorites. Now may be a good time to visit them because, after a dismal holiday season, you may find some bargains. If you have a favorite I don’t know about, please share. 

(No, this isn't a pay-per-post entry; to prove that I get nothing for mentioning these sites, I haven't included links from my blog.)

1) Perpetual Kid. My new favorite for wacky, silly stuff. If ever you find you need a monkey key ring or a bottle of Play Doh-scented cologne, go to perpetualkid.com.

2) Amazon. My first and most enduring online shopping love affair. They sell just about everything now, but I still prefer them for books, music, DVDs and computer games. Also, if Amazon itself doesn't have something in stock, I'm not crazy about ordering from "these sellers." However, that's a small quibble about a site I truly loooove.

3) eBags. Purses! Laptop cases! Luggage! I love the wide range of choices they offer, and how often the merchandise turns over. The prices are good, but they get even better on return visits when you use your "thanks for shopping with us" coupon.

4) Sephora.com. After you choose from just about every kind of cosmetic available, you get to select a couple free samples. And they send your stuff in lovely drawstring bags. 

5) Overstock. Books, clothes, linens, electronics … it’s all here, and the shipping cost is always $2.95. I can spend forever on this site. 

6) Just Give. Just there today! A friend of mine has a birthday coming up, and she asked me not to buy her a gift. Sorry, unacceptable to this Gal, who loves gifting. So I found a loophole in her request and went to justgive.com. I bought her a gift certificate that she can then donate to one of a million participating charities.  (justgive.org)

7) Sundance. My favorite jewelry is here. This is where I got my fabulous green hooded jacket, too. The stuff Sundance sells is unique and they always have neat stuff in their "clearance" section. It's also a great place to shop for gifts. (Just bought my mom a birdhouse that I'll give her for Mother's Day.) sundancecatalog.com

8) Zappos. A tremendous selection of shoes and bags and belts, etc., at great prices, with reasonable shipping/handling rates.

9) One Hanes Place. I am very particular about my underwear. I have my style, I like my style, and that’s that. One Hanes Place always has exactly what I’m looking for (though the shipping costs are kinda steep). onehanesplace.com

10) Expedia. I like this one better than Orbitz, Travelocity or Priceline. No particular reason. I just do.

11) ebay. Because it’s ebay! For cosmetics, collectibles and gifts, this is my first stop. 

12) Peapod. Laundry detergent, 12-packs of Coke, jugs of cat litter … Every prohibitively heavy item on my grocery list is at my fingertips. Best of all, it’s delivered directly to my front door.

13) Drugstore.com. Just about everything you can find at a brick and mortar drugstore. With their weekly specials and free shipping on orders over $50, it’s as affordable as shopping in a drugstore and waaay more convenient.

Put your link in the comments and I'll add you here:
1) Chelle has been to the movies (and I love movie TTs)
2) I couldn't find Sandy Carlson's TT, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to (sorry, Sandy, sometimes I'm tech-challenged)
3) Ellen's TT is colorful and so comforting on a frozen day
4) Nicholas has another one of his entertaining book TTs
5) Michelle takes us out to her birdfeeder
6) Claudia's very funny TT is about new words/phrases
7) Cricket's Hearth has a fascinating word-related TT
8) Shesawriter has a romantic movie TT (and I love movie TTs)
9) Natalie longs for Utah
10) SJR lets her imagination run wild as she puts together her dinner guest list
11) Mommytoj has a tasty TT
12) Adelle's TT is devoted to generosity and involvement
13) Journeywoman has a thoughtful TT devoted to Barack Obama
14) Kristi doesn't have a TT, but her blog is cool so you give her a visit anyway
15) DrillerAA lists her favorite hymns
16) In the interest of equal time, Tasha's TT is about why she's so very anti-Hillary (& I'm patting myself on the back for being open-minded enough to include her link here)
17) Maribeth has a lovely TT about life's "little" crises
18) Jenny McB's TT introduces us to the web beyond Blogger
19) Nancy shares tidbit about a subject she is the undisputed expert on
20) Joy Is My Goal celebrates bridegrooms.
21) Mama Bear has a hilarious Family Guy TT
22) Emerald City Guy gives hilarious awards to his high school classmates


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



26 comments:

  1. I get my make-up from Sephoria too! Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No. 6 is a great idea. For the people who have everything. Thanks for highlighting this in your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is amazing what is available from our laptops! Happy TT...
    http://happywonderer.wordpress.com/2008/01/30/tt-19-hope-for-spring-walk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:53 PM

    I am an Amazon addict (for books). I have accounts with both .com and .co.uk and I always buy from the "new and used" sellers.

    I am about to book some tickets online so I'll make sure I give Expedia a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I'll be sure to visit some I'm not familiar with--I like the idea of justgive.com. Thanks for the tips, and happy TT!

    http://artventuring.blogspot.com/2008/01/thursday-thirteen-23-13-birds-at-my.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun! I love Bliss Spa - they have great products they make themselves - yummy!! I do all our shopping on-line now - so I am with you. It's so much easier than having to drive around the city. I will check out some of your fun sites too!

    Happy TT!

    On a Limb with Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:29 PM

    What a helpful list! Just give sounds interesting. I will check it out. I do most of my Christmas shopping online on Black Friday. I get the same sale prices with free delivery and not parking problems or waiting in long lines. Yes, shopping online definitely has me as a loyal customer. Blessings, Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've shopped at many of those myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we have found something on which we an agree! Let your fingers do the shopping. I did something like 75% of my mother's Christmas shopping on line - half if it never arrived, or didn't fit, but what the heck?

    SJR
    The Pink Flamingo
    http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:03 PM

    I like Amazon too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really shop online, except for books and DVD's. I'll have to check out some of the stops on your list. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:42 PM

    I love Perpetual Kid and there are times I think I should just sign my paycheck over to Amazon.

    You might like Unemployed Philosopher's Guild and Thinkgeek

    Happy TT.

    ReplyDelete
  13. online shopping has save me many, many times... especially Overstock. I could spend days in there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ebags is a great site. Overstock, ebay, and amazon are also among my favorite stopping places.

    Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to visit some of these sites!! I love Ebags, and I'm an EBay addict. *Shhhh* :) Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous11:21 PM

    I like Overstock, Ebay, and Sephora.com too. There is another one called Classic Closeouts that is pretty good.
    Now, I don't know if I want to check out more TT's or go visit some of the sites you mentioned. Sundance sounds enticing.
    Thanks, Maribeth:)
    www.marnini.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so incredibly jealous of those with Peapod, do you have to pay extra for delivery?
    What did we ever do before the internet...oh that's right, we moved more. It does make life easier, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I miss Peapod. I used to live in Chicago and LOVED Peapod. WAH!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hooray for Amazon, overstock and ebay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazon & Ebay are about as adventurous as I get yet, but would love to do more online shopping this year since we live rural....make holidays easier.
    Thanks for the tips.

    The Mama Bear
    T13 participant
    http://cafeendofuniverse.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous1:02 PM

    Great list, will have to check out ebags for sure - I need a new suitcase. Happy TT

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous3:44 PM

    First visit to your site! Great idea for a TT! I'm an Amazon junkie, too! Learned some new sites from your list...as if I needed shopping motivation, right? Love the justgive.com idea!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great TT girl!!! I love online shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great sites! I do a lot of shopping at Sierra Trading Post and Bike Nashbar. Go figure what for.

    Online shipping is THE way to go, as far as I'm concerned. So many fewer hassles.

    Yet on the other side, it's always nice to be out and run into friends.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the link to PerpetualKid - what a fun site! Sounds like PeaPod works great for you. Is the cost lot more?

    You inspired my own TT this week - 13 places I like to shop.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.