Tuesday, May 01, 2007

A tale of two famous men

Two men I've never met are on my mind a lot these days.

White House Press Secretary Tony Snow is back at work. His cancer has returned, but he's working hard to maintain his strength and normalcy. Yes, I'm still a dyed-in-the-wool Democrat. But I admire how well Snow has responded, first to his boss' plummeting polls, now to his health crisis. He is a gracious gentleman with good manners and a respect for the English language, and it's safe to say I find all those attributes sorely lacking in this Bush Administration. Welcome back, Mr. Snow. I wish you nothing but the best.

Only 29 years old, Cardinals pitcher Josh Hancock was killed in a car crash last weekend. The information reached me in dribs and drabs. First I heard on Sunday morning that the Cubs/Cardinals game was postponed. No reason given. I was pissed because I love this rivalry, and because it was sunny and clear here in Chicago with no rain in the forecast. How could the weather be so bad in St. Louis that the game was postponed? Then I heard. So sad, and so eerie. Josh Hancock is the second Cardinals pitcher to die during a Cubs/Cards series this millennium! What are the odds? The Cardinal players will wear their fallen comrades' number on their arms all season in tribute. So very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.