Tuesday, May 01, 2007

My apologizes, Bernie. This is worse.

From the Today Show, April 25.

ANN CURRY: Do you know the American people are suffering… watching [Iraq]?

LAURA BUSH: Oh, I know that very much, and, believe me, no suffers more than their president and I do when we watch this. And certainly the commander-in-chief who has asked our military to go into harm's way.

ANN CURRY: What do you think the American people need to know…

LAURA BUSH: Well, I hope they do know the burden of worry that's on his shoulders every single day for our troops. And I think they do. I think if they don't, they're not seeing what the real responsibilities of our president are.

Whoa! So those silly Goldstar mothers can't touch your pain, Laura? Those veterans who lived among the mold and the rats at Walter Reed have nothing on GWB, eh?

Senator Kerry made an admittedly very bad joke and was pilloried. This woman trips over her tongue in the most offensive of ways and we're all just supposed to love her to bits.

Yeah, whatever.

3 comments:

  1. I keep thinking that this is just a nightmare that this man is the leader of our government. That said, why isn't there a Bush (daughter) in the military if it is so honorable.

    I like to find blogs that I agree with politically and not wrapped in the flag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who says we're supposed to love her? What she said was every bit as crass as her mother-in-law saying that the Katrina refugees were actually fortunate because they ended up in Texas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny and Nicholas, part of what makes me so crazy about this is that she gets a free ride. On Halloween 06, just days before the election, she weighed in on Michael J. Fox appearing in public without his Parkinson's meds by saying, "It's always easy to manipulate feelings, isn't it?" As someone who has a loved one with Parkinson's in her family, I found that callous to nth degree. Yet that same day John Kerry -- man who volunteered for the Navy upon graduating Yale and went on to be a war hero, crusader for veterans' benefits (and for my being able to watch more MLB games on digital cable) -- made a regrettable joke that was broadcast over and over again and ruined his chances for the Oval Office. So much press was given to his bad joke that only C-Span aired the First Lady's comment about Michael J. Fox. I suppose it's not her fault and I guess it's not fair to blame her, but hey! I'm not perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.