Friday, July 24, 2026

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: This Is A Very Special Day (1953)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Peggy sings that she feels good enough to climb a hill. Will you be doing anything athletic today? Just my morning stretches. I may go for a walk later, depending on the heat/humidity.

2) However she was also tempted to climb back in bed. Is a nap in your plans for today? Yes. I'm off to the vet first thing Saturday morning. Even though it's just a check up for my boy cat, it's stressful for both of us and we will likely both benefit from napping.

3) She tells us that she looked in the mirror and told herself it was time to "lose the blues." Do you ever speak outloud to yourself? Not to myself. But I speak to the TV all the time. Especially during Cub games.

4) Peggy wrote this song for the 1953 remake of The Jazz Singer. She performs it in the movie, too. In the 1950s, female singer-songwriters were unusual, but not so today. Can you think of another woman who not only sings but writes her own material? Carole King is the first one to pop into my head.

5) Her co-star in the film was Danny Thomas. Today he is best remembered as a philanthropist and founder of St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital, but he was quite a star in his day. He appeared in nightclubs and movie musicals and, from 1954 to 1963, had his own sitcom. Do you know the show? Make Room for Daddy. I saw the daytime reruns when I was home sick or off for the summer. It was one of the few sitcoms where the family lived in an apartment, which seemed quite exotic to little me, who was used to the suburbs and ranch houses and lawns. Hans Conreid played Danny's Uncle Tonoose. He was from "the old country," ate goat cheese and bragged he was "strong, like bull." I was always happy when Uncle Tonoose showed up.

6) When Peggy Lee was trying to break into show business, she supported herself as a short order cook. She was required to turn orders around quickly. Are you fast and efficient in the kitchen? I don't believe I am fast and efficient anywhere.

7) Just when her career started to take off, Peggy had to take a break when she had her tonsils removed. Do you still have your tonsils? Yes.

8) In 1953, when this record was released, Matchbox Cars were introduced and they remain popular today. Did you ever play with Matchbox Cars? No. My parents were very traditional when it came to "girl's toys" and "boy's toys," and never the twain shall meet.

9) Random question: You're walking past a filthy puddle. Floating on top you see a dead bug, a cigarette butt, and a $1 bill. Would you bend over and rescue the dollar? I don't know. Maybe. I'll be honest, though, cigarette butts creep me out.


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.