Friday, September 06, 2024

Saturday 9

Saturday 9: Summer in the City (1966)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) Now that Labor Day has passed and kids have returned to school, summer is unofficially over. Looking back, share a highlight from Summer 2024. My movie group had a Memorial Day get together to see From Here to Eternity (1953) on the big screen and afterward had a late lunch at the Argentinian restaurant around the corner. It was a big deal to me because I got to know Audrey a little better. During our regular weekly Zoom meetups, she annoys the living shit out of me. Always the wrong conclusion and the dumber-than-dumb question! But in person, her fragility touched me. I didn't realize how compromised her vision was, or how easily she could lose the thread of conversations. I now have greater compassion for her, and I'm grateful for that Memorial Day learning experience.

2) Though this week's song is about summer, it was recorded in the spring, March to be exact. What's your favorite season? Fall. I like my sweaters.

3) Lovin' Spoonful lead singer John Sebastian sings that he's going to meet his lover on the rooftop. When were you last on the roof of your building? I was up there once with a building inspector. There's really no reason for any of us residents to go up there. The door is locked and it's not allowed, anyway. As a top-floor resident, I appreciate this policy.

4) The lyrics refer to sidewalks that are "hotter than a match head." What's the last thing you lit with a match? Golly, I don't recall. I don't even have matches in my home. Back in my (very) old apartment, I used to have to light the gas stove's pilot light. But that was, like, 25 years ago. I don't even know if that's a thing anymore.

5) The Lovin' Spoonful was founded by John B. Sebastian and Zal Yanovsky. When the band broke up, Zal opened a restaurant. Tell us about the restaurant you most recently dined at. Shake Shake. Though known for their burgers, I broadened my horizons and had the chicken nuggets. 

6) John went on to have a solo career. His biggest hit was "Welcome Back," the theme to a popular 70's sitcom. The first line: "Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out ...". Do you recall what show used "Welcome Back" as its theme? Welcome Back, Kotter. He has a connection to a far, far better sitcom, though. His godmother was Vivian Vance, aka Ethel Mertz on I Love Lucy. (I learn things helping Crazy Sam do this meme.)

7) In 1964, when "Summer in the City" was popular, Americans were tuned in to Bewitched. The show centered around Samantha, a witch married to a mortal. Among her supernatural powers were flight, time travel and telekinesis (being able to move objects by twitching her nose). If you could have one of those powers, which would you choose? I'll go with the nose twitching thing. I always thought that was monumentally cool.

8) In 1964, AJ Foyt earned the second of his four Indy 500 victories. Do you watch car racing? Nope.

9) Random question: Is your big toe your longest toe? Yes.

 



6 comments:

  1. It has been a long time since I have seen From Here to Eternity. I have seen the beach where the famous beach scene was filmed. I might see it again next April when I go back to Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Shake Shack, great burgers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #2 And no mosquitoes!
    #4 Now that was a problem! No matches, we were at a state park trying to light the charcoal but no one smoked. So we had to go around the other picnic tables… anybody got a lighter we can use?
    #6 I never knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great little piece of trivia about Vivian Vance. FYI, homeowners do have to check the roof and clean the gutters, but that is what husbands and handymen are for. I also stay off roofs because they are high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess my mother was the exception that proved the rule. She was the one who went up there and decided that the garage roof needed to be repaired..

      Delete
  5. My dad was a high school English teacher when Welcome Back Kotter had its run--I used to watch it with him. We "secretly" refer to challenging classes as our Sweathogs.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.