Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Trust, but verify

It's not like me to quote Ronald Reagan, but those are wise words. And they represent the way I feel about my boss at the card shop today. 

She told me last week that, while she couldn't guarantee me 2 days/week anymore for awhile, I was still part of the team. She said that, as opportunities for more hours presented themselves, she'd keep me in mind. I wanted to believe her and intellectually I did. But I've had crappy bosses in the past and I wasn't sure I could trust her.

Then this morning I got a text from her. She needed coverage today and asked me if I could put in a few hours this morning. I did so happily.

Not because of the money, though I like money. Not because I didn't have anything better to do, because working this morning meant I had to miss yoga.

I did so happily because it meant I could trust Ceecee. I trusted her, sure, but this affirmation felt good.

Photo by Annie Spratt on Unsplash

1 comment:

  1. I'm very much of a "trust, but verify" mindset at work, too. Mostly students tell me the truth. But I will double check things to make sure they're not taking advantage of the sub. (Sometimes they do, but not as often as you'd think.)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.