Saturday, August 31, 2019

Saturday 9

Money for Nothing


1) Sweatbands are prominent in this very 1980s video. What's the last thing you wore on your head? Probably a hood. I'm not really much of a hat wearer.

2) The lyrics are from the point of view of a man who delivers and installs appliances. What's the biggest purchase you've made lately? Was it big in size or expense? My new refrigerator. It was big in every way.

3) The delivery man of the song imagines the worst thing that happens to a musician is a blister on his little finger or thumb. Do you have any minor aches or pains bedeviling you as you answer these questions? Lately, my sleep has been fitful. Does that count?

4) The term "dire straits" describes a troubling situation that's difficult to extricate oneself from. When's the last time you found yourself in dire straits? Now, I suppose. There's not much budge in my budget. July was a new refrigerator. This week I'm having dental work. My air conditioner is being rebellious. These are unexpected expenses and I'm not happy. My "emergency fund" was prepared to handle one, maybe two, but not three emergencies. Plus, I know we're having a special assessment this year, which means I'll have a hard time refilling my depleted "emergency fund."  I know, wah-wah, right? Everybody has money trouble.

5) There's a dinosaur called masiakasaurus knopfleri. It's a prehistoric, predatory lizard, and the paleontologists who discovered it were big Dire Straits fans, so they named it after lead singer/guitarist Mark Knopfler. Do you find dinosaurs fascinating, terrifying, or both? Fascinating. I love the Jurassic Park movies. I think it's because to me, dinosaurs aren't monsters, they're just sad critters.

6) Prior to his music career, Knopfler was a junior reporter, covering the entertainment beat for the Yorkshire Evening Post. Do you believe you would make a better musician or journalist? Journalist

7) In 1985, when this song was popular, rib eye steak was $3.89/pound. Today it's more than twice that. Do you have any beef in your freezer right now? Nope. (Unless the layer of beef in my frozen lasagna counts.)

8) In 1985, Michael Jordan won the NBA Rookie of the Year award after his first season with the Chicago Bulls. It was the beginning of a career that made him a hero and a household name. Who do you think today's young people look up to? In Chicagoland, Javier Baez is crazy popular. I think it's because he combines passion and commitment with a real sense of fun. And heart. He really enjoys the fans.




 

9) Random question: Friends take you to dinner for your birthday. The menu you're handed doesn't have any prices on it. Do you try to estimate the costs and choose what you guess is the least expensive entree? Or do you figure that since your friends want you to have a good time, you should order whatever you want? A little of both. I'd order what I wanted that wasn't lobster. 



8 comments:

  1. As we age money problems seem to take on a stronger urgency, I think. I know they do for me. Hope you find some extra funds under the couch or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you say that about dinosaurs. Because they are so big and scary looking, they've always been portrayed in movies as monsters. I'd like to see (from a distance) what they were really like. I've heard that tyrannosaurus rex actually had more of a bird-like sound than the roar we are so familiar with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will need a new refrigerator shortly, I bought mine in 1991

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first apartment had an undercounter wooden icebox converted to refrigeration. With a chrome latch to open and close.

      As a homeowner, I had my grandmother's refrigerator. It was rounded off at the corners and also had a clasp to open and close.

      Got a more modern hand-me-down fridge from my sister. Which lasted two years.

      Old stuff was made to last. Or be repaired.

      Delete
  4. I love dinosaurs. I am sure that if they were still alive I would be scared of them, but they are so interesting to me.
    I hear you on the money situation. Loved your answers! Have a nice Labor Day weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's to money woes. Bah!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If fitful sleep counts...then I'm in that club. Not that I want to be.
    Money troubles...always, though we are getting a better handle on it than we've ever had and my hubby is actually pouring a lot of each of his pays into a 401K. Finally.
    I felt the same way about ordering dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that we both mentioned lobster in the last question! lol

    Good Qs this week.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.