Sunday, March 26, 2017

Giving the old girl her due

I know, I know. The far left wing of the Democratic Party sees her as the Leader of the Cabal, the Queen of the Oligarchy.

Yada-yada-yada.

You know what I see when I look at Nancy Pelosi? A 77-year-old woman with the balls and brains, the energy and dedication to lead her delegation. I bet 47-year-old Paul Ryan is secretly envious of her this week.

Nancy Pelosi is also a tireless supporter of reproductive rights. A good Catholic girl, she manages to make her argument without using the polarizing word, "abortion." Instead she approaches the subject with commonsense. "Family planning services reduce costs. Contraception reduces costs to the states and the federal government."

She's a civil libertarian, taking heat for her vote against the Constitutional Amendment to ban flag burning.

She's an advocate for the LGBT community, and she does it in ways that transcend marching in parades. She does it with her gavel. Historic decisions on behalf of gay rights all had her vote and estimable support.

Oh yeah, and when she was Speaker of the House, Obamacare passed.

I know it's fashionable these days for both the far left and the alt right to rail against the rules. Against "Washington" and "business as usual." Shut the fuck up, I say.

I agree with our former President, "No Drama Obama," who said he supports, “A sense of unity, a sense of inclusion, a respect for our institutions, our way of life, the rule of law, and respect for each other. I hope that he maintains that spirit throughout the transition, and certainly I hope that’s the way [the Trump] Presidency begins."

Nancy Pelosi lives that. Year after year, her actions on the Hill support that.

Thank you, Congresswoman Pelosi.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.