Saturday, December 03, 2016

That was humbling

I'm riding the el home the other night, my nose buried in a book. A man across the aisle keeps saying, "Miss! Miss!" but I don't look up because I assume he's on his phone. (I assume everyone is on the phone.)

Then a hand waves across my line of sight and I look up and a homeless man has been trying to capture my attention.

"Miss, do you have a Kleenex?"

I dug through my purse and produced one of these pocket packs, which had cost me 20¢. He started to take a tissue out and I told him to just keep it.

"The whole thing? Thank you!"

It made me sad to think how much this meant to him, and it humbled me to help him.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.