Saturday, April 30, 2016

Stolen from Kwizgiver

A "Friday 5" about movies.

-->
What’s your favorite dancing scene in a movie? 
Every Friday night in April,  TCM was devoted to Judy Garland and I was reminded what a very good dancer she was. Her solo dance turns are exceptional. It's always an extension of her character. She's singing and acting on her feet. One of my favorites was just on last night -- "Someone at Last" from A Star is Born. She's so charming and happy and almost manically upbeat in this sequence (trying to cheer up her depressed and alcoholic husband) that I'm always jarred whenever I see this rather famous still, shot between takes of this complicated scene. Judy worked very, very hard! If you have a few minutes, here's a link to this enchanting dance sequence.


 What’s your favorite chase scene in a movie? Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. The one that culminates on the cliff with Sundance confessing, "I can't swim!"

What’s your favorite courtroom scene in a movie? Marlene Dietrich on the stand in Witness for the Prosecution. 

What’s your favorite kissing scene in a movie? No contest. I love seeing a girl reunited with her two true loves -- boy and cat. In the rain. With "Moon River" playing in the background. Movie bliss!




What’s your favorite scene in a non-musical movie where the characters spontaneously break into song? The boys on the boat in Jaws. "Show me the way to go home ..."

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.