Saturday 9: See You Later, Alligator (1956)
1) Crazy Sam's mother is terrified of alligators. Just looking at a photo of one of those scaly reptiles gives her the creeps. Is there a member of the animal kingdom that scares you? Squirrels.
2) Gators are carnivores, but they aren't picky. If meat isn't handy, they'll munch on fruit. Are you particular about your diet? For example, do you try to eat gluten free, low sodium, etc.? No. I'm battling my way back from tummy trouble, and currently have to be careful with dairy, but I am hopeful that someday soon I'll be my old self again.
3) In Spain, this song was a hit under the title, "Hasta Luego, Cocodrilo." Say something else in Spanish. Bienvenido a Chicago, Sr. Trump.
4) When this week's artist, Bill Haley, was a little boy, he made a guitar out of cardboard and pretended to play that until his parents got him a real one. Tell us about something you wanted so badly when you were a kid. Blaze! He was the most completely awesome rocking horse ever. I will always remember rounding the corner and discovering him under the tree that Christmas when I was 4. Santa totally came through!
5) Early in his career, Bill did whatever it took to get the gig. When singing cowboys were popular, the Michigan native pretended to be a cowpoke and renamed himself, "Silver Yodeling Bill." Have you ever fudged on your resume or fibbed in an interview? No. But I recall with bemusement how unaccountably confident I was in my younger days. I remember being asked in an interview if I could write telemarketing scripts. I said "sure." I'd never written, or even seen, one before in my life, but that isn't what I was asked. I was so sure that, given an example, I could compose one. I got the job and I did fine with the scripts. But the older I get, the more spooked I become and I would not have answered that question the same way in an interview today.
6) When his career was going well, Bill was generous and loved to give extravagant parties at his home, which he called Melody Manor. Do you enjoy playing the host? No
7) Bill was blind in one eye, the result of a botched operation when he was a child. Since the blind eye wandered and didn't focus, he always wore a curl over the opposite eye, hoping to draw everyone's attention to the other side of his face. What is there about your appearance that leaves you self conscious? My chins. Both of them.
8) On the other hand, what is it about your appearance that pleases you, and that you would never change? My dimples. I didn't like them when I was younger, but now I appreciate them.
9) In 1956, when this song was a hit, Elvis Presley exploded onto the music scene and displaced Bill as rock's top artist. The press and public assumed Bill was jealous of Elvis, but in reality he liked Elvis a great deal. Are you jealous by nature? Not professionally. Personally, I have fallen victim to the green eyed monster.