Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Thursday Thirteen #136

THIRTEEN POPULAR MOVIES BASED ON BOOKS

In honor of The Help, which moved from the page to the silver screen today, I'm listing the 13 most successful movies adapted from books.

1. Gone with the Wind. 1939. (When adjusted for inflation, it's still the top-grossing movie of all time.)

2. The Ten Commandments. 1956.

3. Jaws. 1975.

4. Doctor Zhivago. 1965.

5. The Exorcist. 1973.

6. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. 1937.

7. Jurassic Park. 1993.

8. The Graduate. 1967.

9. The Godfather. 1972.

10. Mary Poppins. 1964.

11. Thunderball. 1965.

12. The Jungle Book. 1967

13. Sleeping Beauty. 1959.


To learn more about the Thursday Thirteen,
or to play along yourself, click here.

10 comments:

  1. Great post. I'm a big fan of both movies and books too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really liked quite a few of those books! Nice list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may be the only person on earth who has never seen Gone With the Wind.

    Great list!

    (MissMeliss - missmeliss dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not bad...I've seen nine out of ten. I have butterflies on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:23 AM

    A good list. So many others...

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my sisters and I read The Help, we cast it as a movie. The only character I cast correctly was Viola Davis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post. I love the books/movies that you chose.

    Some of them I have to watch!

    www.soulistic.org

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, I didn't know some of these were books!

    http://tesseractress.livejournal.com/6372.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes the movies are better and sometimes the books were better.


    Have a great Thursday!
    http://harrietandfriends.com/2011/08/calif-woman-wont-get-jail-for-feeding-bears/

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.