Friday, June 11, 2010

I wish we could do this for Ernie Banks

I'm watching the Black Hawks victory rally live on TV and, while no longer even remotely a hockey fan, I once was, so I choked up a bit when Bobby Hull was introduced and cheered by the crowd. The old boy looked sooooooo happy.

I'm not sure if I'm happy for Bobby Hull, or melancholy because this isn't the Cubs the city is celebrating. Ernie Banks is 80 years old now, and has a little trouble walking without a cane. Then there's Ron Santo, the all-time great third baseman and radio voice of the Cubs. He's had a staggering number of health problems and yet still is at most games, cheering his team on victory.

I wish Ronnie and Ernie could experience the kind of elder statesman love and reverence Bobby Hull is reveling in right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.