Friday, October 17, 2008

I'm scared

Yesterday was not a good day for me.

I have spent weeks working on a presentation, trying to get it right, fighting the good fight internally so we could give our client the best possible solutions. Wednesday evening, as I was leaving the office to go home and get some sleep, I learned that our client was slashing budgets and most likely wouldn't be able to launch the initiative we were presenting and proposing for January 2009.

Even scarier -- They weren't sure they were going to have the money to use it at all during 2009.

If the client doesn't need what I create, the agency I work for doesn't need me.

So I had to get up at 5:00 AM to ride for hours to present something I worked hard on that may very well end up be totally unusable.

Got home to find my 401(k) statement. I have lost $4,085 over the last three months.

Then I went to my condo association meeting. My proposed assessment for 2009 is 10% more.

So I could soon be an unemployed 50 year old woman who works in an industry that is really hurting right now. My retirement account is dwindling the same way my job prospects are. I have too much credit card debt and can expect increased expenses when I may be relying on decreased income.

Let's be real: If I wasn't scared, I'd be an idiot.

The plus side: I have 8 months' worth of expenses in the bank (though not all FDIC insured ...). I just made my April 2009 mortgage payment. Much of my Christmas shopping is already done (I buy things throughout the year as I come upon them). I already have the funds for my mom's 2009 Medicare Part B insurance and snow removal service. Most of my holiday trip to Key West is already paid for, so no matter what, I won't have to cancel that.

So it's not as bad as it could be. But still, I'm scared. And since the job market is so crappy, there is precious little I can do about it, except to tighten my belt and try to calm down.

Breathe … breathe … breathe … sleep … sleep … sleep …

4 comments:

  1. I understand and feel your angst...my husband is in sales and I'm in marketing...and the first thing that folks cut when it's a recession is advertising and perceived unnecessary expenses...sigh. My prayers are that all of us will make it through this rough time with jobs intact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a load on your plate right now.

    {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:01 AM

    Whatever happens, happens...and you will deal with it. There's no use stressing over it as it seems as though you have a back up plan for the worst case scenario.

    www.silverneurotic.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, that stinks! I know how you feel, though. From March until June of this year, we KNEW (like CEO had confirmed) that there would be layoffs. We didn't know when, who, how many, etc. until the actual day of the layoffs in June. So nearly three months of worry and stress. Ugh. (Fortunately, I was spared. And I hope you are too.)

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.