Sunday, August 03, 2008

"I don't like you, but I love you"


Much has been written about how atmospherically correct AMC's Mad Men is, how true to the era the sets and the clothing are. The mores, too. I appreciate the attention to detail and it does make the show more fun to watch.

But for me, Don Draper is the biggest draw. He's fascinating. Not just because of his self-made man, Gatsby personal history. Not only because I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how he really feels about his wife … or his boss … or anyone, for that matter. That tantalizing remoteness that both attracts and repels me in real life does the trick on TV, too. But it's not his backstory that makes Mad Men appointment viewing for me.

The thing that draws me most to Don Draper is that when he's shown with clients or his creative department, I sense he could be dropped into an agency today and be an effective leader. He has those vaunted "big ideas," but they're rooted in good business sense, and he has just enough integrity to inspire loyalty.

For better or worse, Don Draper is true to life.

1 comment:

  1. I get the feeling I may need to catch this show in reruns

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.