Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Heads & Tails #16

Today's theme is "first and last." I'm going to write about my very first and most recent trips to a movie theater.

First: 1964. Mary Poppins. It was a magical experience. Back in those days, movies opened downtown only and, after a few weeks or months, came to the local theaters. So my time spent with Mary Poppins was special not only because it was my first-ever trip to a movie theater, it entailed going into Chicago's Loop. I remember that it was raining and my father was angrily complaining because he couldn't get a parking space closer to the theater. But then we took our seats and the lights went down, the curtain opened and I was transported to the Banks' home in Jolly Old England. I've been in love with going to the movies ever since.

Last: Saturday, 2/2. There Will Be Blood. I think a better title would be, There Will Be Explosions and Fires, for instances of that kind of mayhem outnumbered the bloody kind. I wrote about this movie before, and while it's true that I appreciated it and am glad I saw it, I can't honestly say I liked or recommend it. Still, I loved the experience of going to the movies, of sitting in a dark theater with my oversized pop and my Raisinettes and traveling to another place and time.

For more information about Heads or Tails, or to play along yourself, visit Skittles' Place.

5 comments:

  1. Oh this was awesome post! I love movies...love love them...

    I liked your memory very much.

    I am a little like you about TWBB...I think in so many ways it was excellent...but it isn't staying with me in the way I thought it would like some special movies do...I think all the technical parts were perfect, the cinematography, the acting, the art direction...

    I think at the end,...it was weak in philosophy...if it weren't for that kid standing up to DDL...and eventually rejecting him going to Mexico...I would have hated it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first movie was E.T...I think I was 4 and it scared me to death. I spent the entire movie hiding under my seat I believe. Last movie was Juno...which I enjoyed quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I truly miss being able to go to a theater or rent a DVD - I've got to work harder at convincing Hube that I need to join netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember the first movie I ever saw.. but I DO remember Mary Poppins. It made me want to be Julie Andrews and have an umbrella that could let me fly.

    And the songs! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute First movie memory! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.