Sunday, January 06, 2008

Please, oh please, don't toy with me!


Poor Roger Clemens just retired (again) on 60 Minutes. He feels really bad that he's been accused of doping. The millionaire resents that he may have to sue -- and spend money -- to clear his name. He actually made a contemptuous little gesture of counting bills as he discussed this.

The damage that his grasping, money grubbing, me-me-me attitude, as well as his alleged steroid use, has done to the national pasttime doesn't seem to bother him. But poor Roger feels really bad that he's been accused and has to defend himself.

Let's hope that he's actually sincere (an odd word to use when discussing Clemens) this time and does us all a favor by staying retired. 

By the way, my beloved, future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux won 7 of his last 10 starts in 2007 and will return this spring as the 9th winningest pitcher in the history of the game. Among active pitchers, he's second only to Roger Clemens. Only there has never been a breath of scandal about The Professor. He's still Luke Skywalker to Clemens' Darth Vadar. 

2 comments:

  1. I read your post and believe the reason why no one is talking about Bonds anymore is that it's no longer news. YAWN! If both Clemens and Bonds *stay* retired, they will be eligible for the Hall at the same time. And I assure you, at that time you'll hear equal talk of tainted titles and asterisks.

    I for one would be grateful if they retired, stayed retired, and just became bad memories.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.