Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #34 -- Musical Flashback to the 1980s


Thirteen Songs
THE GAL HERSELF
Partied to in the 1980s


Ah, the 1980s! This was the decade when I broke out of the dull, white bread cocoon I grew up in and learned how to really party … including booze and coke and dumping Mr. Right so I could sleep with Mr. Wrong. And I did it all to a great soundtrack.

This Old Gal is no longer a Wild Child. I’ve grown up and calmed down, which is a good thing since I have additional responsibility, more common sense and less stamina these days. But here are 13 of the songs that are on my iPod because they evoke powerful memories of the days when I could actually carry off big shoulder pads, leggings and impossibly high heels.

1. You May Be Right – Billy Joel. “You may be right, I may be crazy. But it just may be a lunatic you’re looking for. Turn out the light. Don’t try to save me.”

2. Jessie’s Girl – Rick Springfield. “You know I feel so dirty when they start talking cute. I wanna tell her that I love her but the point is probably moot.”

3. Head Over Heels – Go-Go’s. “Head over heels, where should I go? Can’t stop myself, out of control.”

4. The End of the Innocence – Don Henley. “I know a place where we can go to wash away their sin. We’ll sit and watch the clouds roll by and the tall grass wave in the wind.”

5. Call Me – Blondie. “Cover me with kisses, baby, cover me with love. Roll me in designer sheets, I’ll never get enough.”

6. Miss Me Blind – Culture Club. “I say you’ll miss me, and you always do. I say you’ll miss me, now would I lie to you?”

7. Hungry Like the Wolf – Duran Duran. “I’m on the hunt, I’m after you. Mouth is alive, juices like wine. And I’m hungry like the wolf.”

8. Missing You – John Waite. “There’s a storm that’s raging through my frozen heart tonight. But I ain’t missing you at all.”

9. One Thing Leads to Another – Fixx. “Do what they say, say what they mean. One thing leads to another. You told me something wrong, you know I listen too long.”

10. Rock this Town – Stray Cats. “We’re gonna rock this town, rock it inside out. Rock this town, make ’em scream and shout.”

11. Everybody (Wants to Rule the World) – Tears for Fears. “Help me make the most of freedom and of pleasure. Nothing ever lasts forever. Everybody wants to rule the world.”

12. Somebody’s Baby – Jackson Browne. “She’s probably somebody’s only light, gonna shine tonight. Yeah, she’s probably somebody’s baby tonight.”

13. Little Red Corvette – Prince. “Move over, baby, give me the keys. I want to try to tame your little red love machine.”

LATE REVISION: I just kinda threw these up Wednesday afternoon and made more than one typo. Sheesh! My apologies to the composers.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Go with Nicholas on another excursion into the world of socks (if you dare!)

2. It's time to start the music, it's time to light the lights, it's time to get things started at Country Dawn's Muppet TT

3. Nap Warden shares her favorite board games

4. Malcolm tells us which stars were game show contestants back in the day

5. You're gonna be jealous of Impworks' plans or his time off

6. Visit Jenny McB to find out the difference between this 'n' that, 13 x over

7. Sandee's quotes are sure to make you smile

8. No Nonsense Girl takes us through a patch of bad times, the kind we can all relate to

9. Lori has an uncompromising, brand-name TT

10. What Works for Us is an interactive TT, so go place your vote

11. Wylie's TT is hot

12. Nicole updates us on her literary agenda

13. Emmyrose tells us what our bosses REALLY mean in our performance reviews

14. Janet shares her photography

15. Bradley Egel celebrates Sammy's first birthday

16. Bucknaked Politics takes on censorship this week

17. Xakara is grateful for these 13 things

18. Cecily R shares some funny real-life quotes

19. If Siani ran the world, houseflies and 12 other things would be in trouble

20. Head Gaggler addresses the sleep deprived

21. Ann teaches us to speak Southern

22. LA Day shows us some gorgeous examples of the male form

23. Carrie Lofty has an exceptional pop music TT devoted to the Police

24. Joy T's TT is random but fun to read

25. Mama Pajama has 13 adorable children's books

26. Amy tells us all about a subject she's the undisputed expert on


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



34 comments:

  1. Why is it, as I read your list, that I kept hearing "Der Kommissar" in my head?

    I thought I was the only one who partied to Rick Springfield. And Little Red Corvette helped me understand sex in a way talks with my mother never did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:24 PM

    #11 brings back memories for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessie's Girl rocks! Gotta love RS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great selection of songs especially Don Henley's The End of the Innocence which I remember from late night radio finishing coursework

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, I loved Rick Springfield! Jessie's Girl...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not a weak song in the bunch! I love the piano work by Charlotte Caffey on "Head Over Heels". I actually had on cassette the albums by John Waite and Tears For Fears that contained the two songs you listed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:54 PM

    hey gal,
    oooooo -- Culture Club!! I loved them and haven't thought about Boy George in ages! Good list -- brought back some good memories. Thank heavens I still have them!!
    your ol'pal

    ReplyDelete
  8. The video for The End of the Innocence is one of the best, love this song.

    I have the best of Prince on my Ipod, great for walking.
    This was a walk down Memory Lane for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember them all. I so remember them. What a great list. Have a great TT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love #8...still do to this day. I graduated in 84 so these all brought back memories:) Happy TT and thanks for the smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:00 PM

    great list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OK, you and I have the same taste. I could not have written or selected better tunes! Awesome list.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOOP! Thanks for the flashback, Gal! I was practically singing along. 'Specially to the Stray Cats, which I'd all but forgotten about.
    The only one I'd add is anything by Foreigner "I wanna know where love is..." to take me back to high school dances ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:54 PM

    Great list! I wanted to be Jesse's Girl so I could get Rick. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list.. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  16. especially loved Little Red Corvette :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Rick Springfield lyric actually is..I wanna tell her THAT I love her but the point is probably moot.

    The word addition is probably moot anyway :)

    I loved all these songs...and i could make a list of 100 songs I loved during the 80's :)

    Great list!

    My Thursday Thirteen is up!

    Bradley
    The Egel Nest

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous11:17 PM

    I am from the Seventies, basically, but I liked a lot of these myself (though not, for some reason, Jessie's Girl). The Tears for Fears one was a favorite of mine. I think my favorite eighties songs were "True" by Spandau Ballet and "Don't You Forget About Me" (I don't know if it's the name, but the one from the Molly Ringwald film)...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous12:23 AM

    What a great flashback.

    Number 8 is still an unending favorite of mine. :)

    ~X

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy crap I feel nostalgic! The eighties were my junior high years...big hair, lots of purple eyeshadow and electric blue mascara!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was a huge Blondie fan in those days - my friends and I would always be belting out their hits in the school yard at lunchtime.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What memories. Those are great songs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a huge wave of nostalgia. But what about Dexy's Midnight Runners?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the list. Since I'm in my forties to I remember and enjoyed them all.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Too funny. I did an 80s pop TT a few weeks ago!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous12:43 PM

    Wow all great songs that brought back a lot of fantastic memories from the 80's. Man I loved the 80's!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous1:39 PM

    Ooh. I love the 80s. I only have #1 and #4 on my ipod. But I love all those songs! Fun TT!

    ReplyDelete
  28. 1, 8, 11, and 12 are my favorites from this list!! Great songs! I love the 80s!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I remember #1, 2, 12, and 13. That's it. None of the others sound even remotely familiar. I think I'm too old!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Anonymous4:27 PM

    I love them all... but I really really love Jessie's girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Another list for me to copy!

    Why can't I remember "Little Red Corvette"?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your list takes me back to my childhood - I'm an 80s kid. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I was born in 1980 so I don't know most of these songs.

    Great list. Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.