Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Heads & Tails #5




Today's theme is PETS

I have been blessed by the company of some really phenomenal, loving cats. A turtle named Bobby Jo, too, but the cats have really been the stars. Rather than just toss a spotlight on one, I'm going to walk down memory lane and list them all. Except for the last three, they are all waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge, and I look forward to seeing them happy, healthy and whole again.

BIG TOM -- a pure white tomcat who, after his untimely death at age 4, became known as "Big Tom" because of the arrival of …

TOMMY -- a smaller white tomcat with a black ear and black tail and my best friend when I lived at home

SNOOZER -- a calico who was one of the most curious, chattiest cats ever

TROUBLE -- an all-black cat, kinda dumb, but very even tempered

ANNIE -- an enormous gray and white long-hair who held everyone but me in disdain

WILMA -- a skinny calico, completely crazy, completely friendly and terrifically patient with me as I gave her a thyroid pill each morning

ALLISON -- The most affectionate cat I've ever had. You could wake Allie out of a sound sleep by scooping her into your arms and she'd still purr, even as she checked who was holding her through half-closed eyes

TARA -- a valiant soul. Tara bore the scars, both physical and emotional, of abuse when I got her. Considering how she'd been treated, the dignity with which she carried herself was enormously touching. Helping her learn to trust humans again, and giving her a peaceful life through the end of her days, is one of my proudest achievements.

BILLY -- Big, big hearted, melancholy and quite beautiful. Along with Tommy and Wilma, he was an all-time favorite and still a little hard to talk about.

JOEY -- As gentle as he is enormous

CHARLOTTE -- My girly-girl, she not only is always grooming, she loves to sit on the toilet seat and chat while I'm putting on my make up each morning

REYNALDO -- A whirling dervish with a huge appetite for life

For more information, or to play Heads and Tails yourself, go to Skittles Place.

7 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how much a part of our lives our pets become? It sounds like you had some terrific ones over the years.

    I know about having trouble talking about some, too. The loss stays with us.

    Thank you for sharing your kitties with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lotsa kitties :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly a cat person, and they all sound fabulous in their own unique way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:05 PM

    wow, you've had lots of fur people!! They all sound like they were well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an amazing list of love you have here. I've only ever had one cat who lived till she was 19, a rabbit & my current 2 pooches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have been blessed to have such fine furry companions. I always knew we cat people would get along

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you showcased each of your cats' personalities. I agree with you that it's hard talking about some! Thanks for sharing! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.