Friday, February 23, 2007

This keeps me up at night


Have you seen that Pedigree commercial? Shelter dogs speak to us from "behind bars," saying they know how to sit and roll over, but they don't know how they ended up there, and they only want to go home. Most of those dogs won't go home. Statistics show that there are 6 to 8 million dogs and cats in shelters right now, and half will be euthanized. I learned from volunteering at a major Chicago shelter that adult dogs are the least likely to be adopted. Dog owners are less likely than cat owners to take a chance on a fully-grown pet.

Six to eight million dogs and cats in shelters, and yet people keep insisting on going to breeders for their pets. I do not understand this. I have three cats right now, all from shelters, and I refuse to believe they would be any more charming or loving if they had "papers." Besides, what would it say about me if I valued a living thing because of its bloodline?

Six to eight million dogs and cats are waiting for homes. Six to eight million little hearts that are willing and eager to unconditionally embrace the human who will share a little affection and use his or her opposing thumb to open a food can. It's the best ROI any of us will EVER get.

Shown here is Sparky, a terrier mix, from Precious Pets Almost Home in Chicago, and Marnie, a dsh at the Feline Wellness Center in suburban Forest Park. Look at those faces! Then try to explain to me why they are less deserving of a loving home than a pedigreed animal.

I simply cannot have another pet. You reach a point where you have too many animals to provide proper care and affection. Oh yeah, and there are village ordinances regulating these things, too. But I give money every month to local shelters and to national humane associations (my favorite national organization is American Humane -- americanhumane.org).

If you don't have a dog or cat in your life right now, and you have a little love to invest, please consider going to Petfinder.com and adopting a loving new friend who is already right in your neighborhood. If you travel too often, or have allergies, or are already at pet capacity, or if you decided to pass on these loving little creatures in favor of a pure-bred animal, please still go to Petfinder.com. Look at those faces! Then click on a shelter in your town, get their address, and send them a check.

Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.