Sunday, September 22, 2019

It ain't over till the fat lady sings

My Cubs lost a heartbreaker yesterday, 9-8. They lost a heartbreaker to the Cards on Friday, 2-1. And they lost in Rizzo's heroic return. First place in the division, which was once ours, is almost a statistical impossibility. Even a playoff berth seems highly unlikely.

What happened? Injuries? Yes. Untidy personal personnel issues? Yes. A remarkably unreliable bullpen? Yes.

Looked at through that prism, it's amazing we stayed in it as long as we did.

I'm not complaining. As bad as the 20th century was for the Cubs, this new millennium has been pretty good.  2003, 2007, 2008, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 were all playoff years. And 2016! Dear God, what a gift that was! My dad, uncle and grandparents never saw a World Series win here in Chicago!

I just don't want what's going to happen to happen. The manager and the players I love are going to go.

It's not the losing that makes me sad. It's the saying "goodbye."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.