Sunday, September 13, 2009

"Back to school" takes on a poignant meaning

I have recently conversed with 4 parents (2 moms, 2 dads) who saw college freshmen off to begin a new chapter in life. "Wistful" is the word that best describes them all.

"The house is so quiet."
"My wife couldn't stop looking back."
"She's always been independent, so she's doing fine."
"He couldn't wait to get there."
"I miss him so much."
"Can you believe it? I can't believe it. His childhood is over."
"The dogs sure miss him."

I reminded each of these parents how happy she (or he) was last May when high school graduation season was upon us. It didn't seem to help much.

I just hope as Jenna, Joshua, Max and Harry begin their college careers, they realize how very much their parents love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.