Sunday, August 23, 2009

About Inglourious Basterds

I enjoyed this movie as I was watching it, but I won't see it again and again and again as I do Pulp Fiction. Because while Tarantino's earlier work rocks my world and stimulates my imagination, Inglourious Basterds encourages my blood lust. It's like a hot one night stand that's fun while it lasts, but you don't like yourself very much the morning after.

At the heart of this funny and well made movie is the revenge Jewish vigilantes perpetrate against Nazis. Brad Pitt's talented and vicious little band isn't in France to capture Nazis and bring them to justice. Their goal is to, literally, scalp them. There is a subplot about a young woman whose family is killed by the Nazi's terrifying Jew Hunter. I don't want to spoil the movie for anyone, but I felt especially guilty about rooting for her revenge as I did.

I'd call the Nazis "animals," but that would be unfair to animals. Their cruelty and viciousness is almost unfathomable. While it makes them very good screen villains, and easy targets, all these years later, we should be careful never to emulate them and cheer for atrocity against them. Atrocities are soul-numbing, regardless of who the victims are. That's what bothers me about Inglourious Basterds -- I feel as though I took leave of my humanity for two hours.

4 comments:

  1. I'm of two minds to seeing this. I think I'd like it better as a rental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:23 PM

    I kind of want to go see it, but at the same time...I don't think I could stomach it. I got uncomfortable watching a trailer for it, and obviously they can't show any gore and it STILL bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second post I've seen about this movie and both have been much more revealing and interesting than the traliers. Love your description of the experience a la one night stand - you dirty stay out you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been looking forward to this movie for months...

    Your reaction made me think about the relative morality of the story. It will be interesting to see it for myself.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.