Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #83 -- Who IS that guy?

Thirteen Products
Sold by Billy Mays


He begins all of his many, many TV commercials by announcing/shouting, “Billy Mays here!” My immediate response has always been, “So what?” But since I unintentionally spend more time with this leather-lunged pitchman than I do with members of my family, I decided to do a little research on him. (Thank you, Wikipedia.)

His full name is William D. Mays. He was born in 1958 in McKees Rocks, PA. His birth sign is Cancer. He lives with his wife, Candace, in Odessa Florida. Their home is rumored to be worth $1.8 million.

Billy began his career a salesperson in Atlantic City, selling the “Washmatik” to passersby on the Boardwalk. His big break came when he met Max Appel, the founder of Orange Glo, in the 1993. Max hired Billy to sell their cleaning products on The Home Shopping Network. Today he is the CEO and major star of Mays Productions, Inc.

Here are 13 of the products he has promoted on TV:

1) Awesome Auger
2) The Bedazzler
3) Bloomin’ Onion Maker
4) Fixit Car Scratch Remover
5) Foodsaver
6) Hercules Wall Hook
7) Kaboom!
8) Lint-B-Gone
9) Oxi Clean
10) Never Scrub
11) Swiffer Sweeper Cleaner
12) Zorbeez
13) Mighty Putty (the only one I’ve ever purchased)

Include your link in the comments and I'll add you here:
1) Malcolm reveals the true identities of your favorite sitcom stars
2) Michelle takes a trip in the Way Back Machine
3) Sandy's TT is a tribute to one of my favorite activities
4) Small Reflections is creative, visual, and guaranteed to make you say, "aw ..."
5) Ashley Ladd critiques her own cooking
6) Gnostic Minx has a highly visual and thought provoking TT
7) Popping Bubbles has a reading list for the kid in you
8) Marcia looks back ... way back!
9) Anthony shares a poem
10) Hootin' Ani's TT is tasty
11) Meju looks at towns with unusual names
12) Lori reviews her summer
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



15 comments:

  1. Thanks for shedding some light on just who this Billy Mays character is. I use Kaboom! myself and that stuff really works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is the guy that does those commercials. Thanks for the info. I have a few of his products I use at home. Great idea for your TT. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's like the "Call Murray Hill Five..." voice of a previous age. We I Love Lucy watchers remember....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no clue ... and now I do:--)
    Clever idea for your T-13. Mine's experimentally 'pictorial' at Small Reflections this week.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of the guy. I don't watch that much TV and I don't think I'm sad about that after reading your post. I think I'll keep avoiding him. Thanks! I can't stand hard sell anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was interesting. And BTW- that Oxy Clean works pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so clever to find out just who that guy is! I never would have thought of looking him up you're so funny! I see him all the time and just kind of never wondered...

    Good stuff!

    It's funny he started out on the boardwalk in Atlantic City. I once had a friend who did magic tricks there before he got into acting.

    Here is my TT list:

    http://gnosticminx.blogspot.com/2008/08/13-things-about-hundertwasser.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:45 PM

    Thank you! I was beginning to think I was crazy! I'm glad to know he really does hock all of those products and it's not just my imagination.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of him, but coming from the UK, I've never seen one of his ads.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmmmm, don't know of him nor any of the commercials. Interesting research you've done.


    My 13 are listed, I do hope you can find time to stop over! happy thursday

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Kaboom too. But I hate the way Billy yells at me! Happy TT! THis was a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When he would say, "This Billy Mays" I would wonder, "and you would be...?" Thanks for answering that question!

    I have used Swiffer and Oxi Clean myself, but I had no idea he hawked so many products and has made such good money doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy TT.
    http://www.apooobooks.com/2008/08/27/thursday-thirteen-5hot-fun-summertime-favorite-roller-coaster-rides/

    ReplyDelete
  14. This might be my favorite of your Thursday Thirteens! Tee hee...

    ReplyDelete

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.