Wednesday, June 25, 2008

We're still us

I saw my best friend last night for the first time since May! We exchange emails a couple times a day, but we haven't been in the same room in three months. I have missed him enormously because he's one of the few people I'm entirely comfortable with, because it feels like he really gets me and accepts me. Also because, while his life isn't perfect (no one's is), he is refreshingly drama free. He feels like a safe haven.

Last night he caught me up on his family, his vacation and his job. We discussed his poor dog (see below) and baseball and the Presidential election. We talked and laughed about my job. Then I helped him with a slide for his Powerpoint presentation (he was, after all, in Chicago on business). Best of all, I gave him his birthday gifts -- a personalized cutting board, a cookbook of recipes direct from "The Conch Republic," and an oven mitt that says, "Caution! Men Cooking."

It was a lovely evening, and seeing him made me so very happy. I'm so glad we're still the same friends we've always been. It's good to have a relationship like this I can count on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: If you have a WordPress blog, I can't return the favor and comment on your post unless you change your settings. WordPress hates me these days.